Monday, February 9, 2015

Cooking From Your Well-Stocked Pantry

As promised, today's post is going to include some go-to recipes that I use with ingredients either completely from or almost exclusively from my pantry. 


Let's start with breakfast.
Hot cereal, pancakes/waffles, muffins can come completely from your pantry.  

You're probably wondering how you're supposed to do that, if the recipe calls for eggs or milk.  There are a few ways.  

The first way is including refrigerated staples as part of your pantry inventory.  Part of a well-stocked pantry should (but doesn't have to) include refrigerated staples such as eggs, milk, lemons, carrots, celery.  

But...it doesn't have to because of items like boxed milks, such as soymilk, or any of the various nut milks.  These milks can be used in cooking or baking, cup for cup with regular dairy milk, and they are shelf-stable.  And as far as taste, it is my experience that unless you have a glass of this milk straight, you won't notice the substitution, even in a bowl of cold cereal.

Now let's look at eggs.  I have my own flock of four hens that keep me rich in eggs.  
I will write about them in a future post, but keep in mind backyard eggs are much healthier than any egg from the grocery store.

What if you don't have eggs?  There are two solutions that I know of that are useful in pancakes, waffles, and bake goods.  The first of these is a flaxseed mixture.  The other is a commercial product called Ener-G Egg Replacer.  Lastly, if you don't have eggs, but want "scrambled eggs," crumble tofu to make scrambled tofu.  I am including a recipe below that makes a dish with a taste similar to, but not exactly like, scrambled eggs.

Quinoa and Oats Porridge.   I just made this last week.  I put it in four individual containers and after the initial preparation, had "instant" hot cereal for four mornings in a row.  Quinoa is an ancient grain used hundreds of years ago by the Incas.  Of all the grains, it is the highest in protein, which is why I find this to be a great breakfast. It is high in protein and fiber, and can come completely from your pantry.  This small serving will keep you satisfied until lunchtime.

Here is a Pancake Recipe without eggs that you can use your boxed milks with. 

If you make firm tofu a staple in your fridge, this Scramble Tofu recipe is fantastic.  The picture below is not scrambled eggs.  It's scrambled tofu.  Don't knock it.  I actually liked it very much.
It is also good the next day in a Breakfast Burrito.  Just add chopped breakfast sausage, salsa, and shredded cheese, rolled up in a tortilla and heat

Now on to lunch.  First thing that comes to mind is tuna.  
If you have tuna and mayonnaise in your pantry, you can make it.  For those that like tuna, I make a tuna salad that everyone asks me for the recipe. I think the shredded carrot and dill make it special. Here it is:

Tam's Tuna Salad
- 2 cans tuna, drained
Stir in:
- 1 stalk celery chopped in small dice
- 1 carrot, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp or a little more, dried dill weed
- 1 Tbsp chopped onion (red or sweet)
Mix in mayonnaise to your liking. Serve.  
Makes 2-3 sandwiches.

Dinner.  I have a pasta recipe that is my first choice for either a quick dinner for family or even for guests that drop by.  I thought I was quite original when I thought it up.  Turns out, everyone has a variation of this recipe.  I discovered that when I found Giada's recipe for Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil, and Red Pepper Flakes, on page 88 of her cookbook, Everyday Italian, by Giada DeLaurentiis.  
My basic recipe is identical to hers but I start with onions sautéed in olive oil.  I then add any these ingredients that I have on hand:  tomatoes (fresh or sun-dried), beans (white or chick peas), a can of tuna or a small chopped anchovy, sliced olives, toasted pignolis (pine nuts), some fresh spinach, arugula, or swiss chard.  The Italian parsley that I use tastes like fresh, but it's usually my homegrown from the previous summer that I chop and freeze.  There are many variations.  Just use what you have on-hand, and use the above recipe as your base.

Lastly, here is a nice winter beverage that you can make from your pantry:  Hot Cocoa.  I use either dairy milk (I prefer raw milk from grass-fed cows, to be explained in a future post) or the boxed milks I keep in my pantry.  I don't make the instant.  I make it from scratch using the recipe that has been around forever and can be found on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa box . 


So, that should get you started with eating out of your pantry.  As I've said in my last post, I am the most creative in my cooking when I challenge myself to cook exclusively from my pantry, without resorting to making a run to the grocery store.  But also remember, I have a core group of staples in my fridge as well, which also helps.  What is your core group of refrigerated staples that always make your grocery list and supplement your pantry?  Mine is cheese, carrots, celery, lemons, my backyard eggs, and raw milk from a local farm.

My next post will be about my backyard chickens and why I keep hens.  Until then, stay warm and enjoy cooking from your pantry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment